Clinton Fish & Game Protective Association 185 Lancaster Road, Berlin, MA 01503
CLINTON FISH & GAME
The Clinton Fish & Game Protective Association was organized in October 1919 and is one of the oldest sportsmen clubs in Worcester County, MA. The club was originally formed to give Clinton area sportsmen a place to meet and discuss matters concerning hunting and fishing and to help implement ways of protecting their sport and the areas used by members and area sportsmen. Land was leased on Wattaquadock Hill Road (at the site of the Fyfeshire Dam conservation area) in Bolton, MA and a clubhouse was built.
During the early years of the Club members raised funds for stocking trout and other game fish, along with stocking areas with pheasant and rabbit. These were put into areas where both members and non-members had access to them. The club was incorporated on November 9, 1933 and has since been known as the Clinton Fish & Game Protective Association, Incorporated. The original charter members were longtime Clinton residents – Herbert Smith, Frank F. Melanson, Harold F. Trott, Henry J. Colombo, Edward E. Vattes, Carl H. Struntz, Albert E. Dickson, and William J. Schobert. Through the years many respected citizens have been members of the club and have given of their time to further the purpose of the corporation, which is “To protect our mutual interest, to promote good will and true sportsmanship and further the cause of conservation”.
The club remained at its Bolton location until 1944 when it purchased land on Lancaster Road in Berlin, MA, thus enabling it to expand and offer more recreation and activities to its members and the public. Many of Clinton’s political, civic and fraternal organizations have used the club grounds for their activities since 1944.
Between 1944 and the late 50’s some accomplishments of the club include
In 1958 the Club purchased the former Clinton eighth grade portable school from the Town of Clinton; the building was located on Mechanic Street at the site of the (then) new police station. The building was disassembled and moved, and used to expand the clubhouse to its present size. During the expansion an indoor (four bay) 50 foot rifle (.22 rim fire) and pistol range was built for use by members. It has also been used for training in the safe use and handling of firearms by area Boy Scout troops and the Marine Corp. Junior Drill Team. The range and club facilities are also used by the Club for instruction and training courses taught by National Rifle Association (NRA) certified instructors (who are also club members).
The Club actively supports the original purpose of the club and has added legislative and political activities to its efforts, which will protect and guarantee the right to keep and bear arms and to protect the right of every law abiding sportsman to pursue his or her sport. The club maintains affiliation with state and national organizations with the same purpose as ours, such as National Rifle Association, Gun Owners Action League, Mass. Council of Sportsmen Clubs, Worcester County League of Sportsmen Clubs, Mass State Rifle Pistol Association, and also maintains constant contact with many conservation groups.
The Clinton Fish and Game Protective Association believes, as did the founders of our great country in 1776, that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” and is dedicated to maintaining the rights enumerated to us in the second amendment of the Constitution.
Excerpted from a letter (dated January 28, 1976) from Francis (Frank) Turini (then president of the Clinton Fish and Game) and sent to William (Bill) Coulter of the Bicentennial Book Committee (Clinton, MA). Includes added detail and rewording. Adapted by Dave Notaro.
Special items in this theme
Recent forum updates